December 22, 2010

New York Hot 97 Dj Suspended For Haitian Comment


Dj/Host Cipha Sounds is in trouble. The New York Hot 97 Dj, who was born Luis Diaz shared negative/ horrible comment about Haitian women, which has the New York Haitian community furious.

 "The reason I'm HIV negative is 'cause I don't mess with Haitian girlss, Cipha Sounds said earlier this week. His distasteful comment highly upset the station's Haitian listener-ship

Yesterday, Diaz, who worked at the station for 15 years apologized on-air to his listeners, where he stated, "I made a stupid, tasteless joke that was a one-liner that was taken totally the wrong way and I want to say sincerely that I apologize."

 However, the Haitian community is satisfied with the apology. A protest was held outside of the Hot 97 building yesterday, requesting that Cipha Sounds to be fired. 

Hot 97 did not fire Diaz, but instead suspended him. The station plans on conducting a sensitivity training, which focuses on the Haitian Community. Also, to work with local leaders of the community to increase HIV awareness. 

Honestly, I am unhappy and disgusted with this comment. Although, I love to joke and kid around, but there is limit to joking around. I am a Haitian-American WOMAN. Haiti has suffered enough, for this man to say such a negative comment on live air. Especially, knowing that your listener-ship consists of many Haitian people. I'm not for people losing their job, since we are facing this tough situation in the economy. However, Dj Cipha Sounds went way to FAR. 

I will keep following this story out in New York. 

Check out the video below of the stupid comment:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...