July 6, 2011

Janelle Monae Featured In Glamour Magazine

Janelle Monae is featured in the August 2011 issue of Glamour Magazine, shot by photographer Bruce Weber. The trendsetting artist speaking on wearing her signature tuxedos, when she discovered her talent, and seeing other versions of tight rope on youtube. 
Read an excerpt from Janelle Monae's interview:

What made you start wearing tuxedos?I’m just really attracted to a very tailored, classic look that commands attention. The tuxedo, especially on women, does that I think because of the stark black and white. It’s not a trendy thing. It’s timeless. It’s transcendent. The kind of thing you can give to your grandchildren. 
When did you discover your voice?
When I was growing up, both my grandmothers would play the organ and we would all sing. It’s just kinda in my DNA. There’s no time that I don’t sing. I believe in that saying that you’re nothing without song. 

Have you seen all the people doing their own versions of “Tightrope” on YouTube?
It makes me so proud that I have created something that somebody can wear in their own heart. That’s what creating music is like for me. I want it to be part of your daily regimen. I want this song to be your drug.

Check out behind the scenes video: 
 
More pics from her photo shoot below:




 nb
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...