October 11, 2011

Beyonce Responds To "Countdown" Video Accusations

Last night, we reported on Beyonce being accused of plagiarism for her latest music video "countdown." Read about incident here. Well, Bey responded to the accusations with a letter:
“Clearly, the ballet ‘Rosas danst Rosas’ was one of many references for my video ‘Countdown.’ It was one of the inspirations used to bring the feel and look of the song to life.”
“I was also paying tribute to the film, ‘Funny Face’ with the legendary Audrey Hepburn. My biggest inspirations were the ’60s, the ’70s, Brigitte Bardot, Andy Warhol, Twiggy and Diana Ross. I’ve always been fascinated by the way contemporary art uses different elements and references to produce something unique.”
After releasing a statement about the incident, Anne Teresa also wrote a letter that was posted on the Studio Brussel website (This website was the first to realize the comparison between the two videos). Anne Teresa gave Bey her props, but did not appreciate Beyonce and her crew for not crediting her for her choreography. The letter has been taken down since.
“Beyoncé is not the worst copycat; she sings and dances very well, and she has a good taste! On the other hand, there are protocols and consequences to such actions, and I can’t imagine she and her team are not aware of it.[...]“In the 1980s, this was seen as a statement of girl power, based on assuming a feminine stance on sexual expression. I was often asked then if it was feminist. Now that I see Beyoncé dancing it, I find it pleasant but I don’t see any edge to it. It’s seductive in an entertaining consumerist way.”
Anne Teresa even defends Beyonce on the criticism she is receiving about being four months pregnant and dancing.
"Everyone told me, [Beyoncé] is dancing and she is four months pregnant. In 1996, when De Mey‘s film was made, I was also pregnant with my second child. So, today, I can only wish her the same joy that my daughter brought me."
If you didn't get to read the full story and watch the comparison videos, click here

nb
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...