December 21, 2010

Former Cash Money Artist Gunned Down


Magnolia Shorty

Renetta Lowe, also known as Magnolia Shorty was a former Cash Money Records female rap artist. Birdman discovered the female artist, where she is known as the second female artist to be signed to the label. 

The rapper, who was given her rap name by the late rapper Magnolia Slim, was recently gunned down in New Orleans and 

Sources say that Magnolia Shorty was shot at least 26 times in her New Orleans neighborhood

In March, Shyema Azam of seed.com wrote a feature on the rapper for spinner.com. Magnolia was interviewed at the SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas, where she was featured artist
Spinner.com interviewed Magnolia Shorty at the SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas, where she was a featured artist. 

Read the interview below (from spinner.com)
Rapper and hip-hop artist Magnolia Shorty is all about New Orleans. She was christened by the late rapper, Magnolia Slim, who was also from the Magnolia Projects in New Orleans. Discovered by Brian "Birdman" Williams, Magnolia Shorty is the second female rapper to sign on with Cash Money Records. She is currently working on her second album-- a follow-up to her 2009 release of 'Monkey on Tha D$ck.' She shares her thoughts with Spinner.com about her very first trip to SXSW.

Describe your sound in your own words.


It's New Orleans. We're just trying to make it bigger and give people the flavor of bounce. New Orleans created that flavor and we just want to make it worldwide where other people can really get to know our style and how we keep our bounce. 

How did you come on the rap scene? 

I knew since I was 6 years old, watching videos on Channel 10 "The Box," that I wanted to be a rapper. I've been rapping since I was 12 years old. I was working on mix tapes and my verse while rapping at block parties. I eventually got introduced to Cash Money Records and we just went from there. 

What are your musical influences?
People say my sound is like Foxy Brown. I'm very influenced by Michael Jackson, SWV,Beyonce, and Eve. 

What can we expect from one of your shows?

I put all my emotions out there on stage. People can expect to dance, a lot of energy and just me giving them my all. I would expect them to want to come again.

How did you come up with your band name? 

Magnolia Slim, who was also known as Soulja Slim, gave me the name Magnolia Shorty. We both lived in the Magnolia Projects in New Orleans.

What's your biggest vice?

Eating. I like pastas, mussels and crawfish. New Orleans is known for their crawfish.

What's in your festival survival kit? 

My flat iron. I like to be pretty.

What are you most excited for at this year's SXSW?

It's my first time there and it's a big opportunity for me to get my verse heard and really let people to know who I am. 

Who was your first celeb crush? 

Jadakiss.

What's your musical guilty pleasure?

Love songs. Keith Sweat. I Can't ever turn Keith Sweat off.

What's your favorite part of the whole musical process?

Being myself and believing that people came out to see me. Pleasing my fans makes me smile. 

What inspires your lyrics?

My life, period. It's about how women are towards other women, things that men do to women that hurt them. I just give a woman a message that she can relate to. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I'll be in Hollywood.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...